Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Meaning of Christmas - You Can Stay at My House

We have an amazing physical therapist.  Every week we go to work with her I am so grateful for her expertise and her ability to push Joey when I want to quit. 


Today was a tough day.  We tried a "stander".  We talked about unexpected things.  That is what they say grief is like-- waves.  It hits you when you least expect it.  That's the way things are with Joey.  Just when I get used to our latest version of "normal" we learn something new that just kind of hits me.  And I get mad at myself.  We see so many little ones at the hospital who have much more difficult issues to deal with every day.  I try to tell myself to suck it up and move forward.  Sometimes, though.  I can't.  I get sad and it hits me.  Today we talked about leg braces and ankle braces.  The good part of that is that we are talking about Joey being able to walk someday, which I fully know he will do, but I also know he and I are going to work really, really hard to make it happen.  I have been so focused on trying to help him learn to crawl that I had put walking way back into a corner of my mind.  That's why the discussion of leg braces took me by surprise today.  Is Joey going to care about having leg braces.  Not at all.  Am I grateful that such things are even available.  Absolutely.  


The counter balance to this was the story our PT told us today about a young man who was finally selected to participate in a Christmas Pageant.  Here is the story as told by Whoopi Goldberg on The View.  







To read Marian Wright Edelman's story about this very pageant, click here.  


This is what the meaning of Christmas is-- opening our hearts and homes.



Merry Christmas!









2 comments:

  1. There are days I hate the waves! I think that is the hardest part. Every time you find "normal" something shakes it up and it always takes you by surprise. By the looks of things....Joey is going to have a fun Christmas! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We called it 'our new normal', and went with the tide...Sam didn't walk until he was three, give Joey time....it's HIS book, let him write it. As for 'sucking it up', you are entitled to have bad days....just find a little bit of happy in each one. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We read every comment!